Canada Day at Rotary Lakeside Park
The Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce presents a free family fun day, July 1st, in celebration of Canada Day!
Activities continue throughout the day at Rotary Lakeside Park Opening Ceremonies start at 10:30am with local dignitaries celebrating our diversity, culture, inclusiveness, and steps towards reconciliation.
Calling All Drums!!
Join Cree Metis Elder Donna Wright on July 1st from 10:45 am at Lakeside Park as she supports and leads a community drum circle where all are invited to participate. Any and all ages and drums welcome!
Enjoy the giant Canada Day birthday cake served up at 11am by Chamber Directors and local dignitaries. Entertainment follows until 9:45pm.
See the detailed schedule and events below.
Schedule of Events
10:30 am Opening Ceremonies:
Chamber of Commerce President Karen Bennett, Nelson Mayor Janice Morrison Nelson Creston MLA Brittny Anderson, Nelson Police Department, Nelson Firefighters, Rotary Club President
10:45 am Community Drum Circle lead by Cree Metis elder Donna Wright all are welcome to participate.
11:00 am Canada Day Cake served by Chamber directors, City Councilors, and local dignitaries.
11:00am Phillip Seagram and Sherri Kyle
12:00 Noon Nelson Community Band
1:15pm David Lane
2:00pm Brenda McJones Dancers
2:30 pm Playmor Junction Big Band
3:30 pm Kootenay Kiltie Pipe Band
4:00pm Orange Bridge Dancers
4:30 pm Railtown Classis Rock
5:30pm Revolution (Beatles Cover)
6:30 pm Hurrie, Brown and Walker
7:30 pm Baker Street Blues
8:30 pm White Lightning Blues Band
10:00 pm FIREWORKS Display Special thanks to The Nelson Professional Fire Fighters Association, The City of Nelson, RDCK Areas E, F, The Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce, and many community-minded businesses and organizations.
Indulge and Enjoy
8:00-11am Lions Club Pancake Breakfast (Baker Street)
9:45am Canada Day Cake on Display
10:45am Canada Day Cake Served by Chamber Directors – City Councilors -Dignitaries
11am-3pm Rotary Club Annual BBQ (Rotary BBQ Shelter)
10am-10pm Rose Garden Café Lakeside Park
Community Groups and Family Activities
- Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce Canada Day Flags, event information
- Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce Canada Day Cake
- Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce Home Building Centre Sandcastle Contest Registration. Sandcastle content on beach
- Face Painting with Valerie and Clancy Canada Day theme designs, orange in hour and celebration of reconciliation
- Save On Foods Bouncy Castle and giveaways
- West Kootenay Climate Hub Wooden medallions to give away and decorate, information table
- Sail Nelson Knot tying station. WAter safety gear to handle and learn about. Pamphlets about water safety.
- Wildsafe BC Information on local wildlife, mitigating human conflict. Coloring activities, workbooks for kids, wildlife display
- Canada Safeway-Sobeys’s West-Bounce Radio Kids games, inflatable ball throwing, inflatable axe throwing, freezies
- Joshua’s Giant Bubbles Giant 10-foot bubble demonstrations
- Visions Alive Puppets Puppet shows, and puppet play area
- Nelson and Area Friends of the Family Sebastian’s Fishpond by donation
- Rotary Club Nelson Dunk Tank (located near the Rotary BBQ Shelter (enjoy the BBQ Beef and Smokies while watching)
- Nelson Izushi Friendship Society Origami for kids, Japanese
- calligraphy, summer festival customs, sister city information, Friendship Society project information
- Nelson Climate Ambassador Team
- Nelson Museum, Archives and Gallery Button making, arts and crafts, resources
- Face Painting Shannon Silvermoon
- Nelson and Area Metis Association Cultural display, Tipi
Nelson Electric Tramway Society Historical Museum display at the Streetcar Car Barn (Free Streetcar for Canada Day courtesy of the Nelson and District Credit Union)
The Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce is pleased to coordinate and present the annual Canada Day Festivities in Rotary LAKESIDE Park and would like to thank these businesses & organizations for their generous financial support of the Canada Day entertainment and fireworks.
Celebrate Canada, Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce, City of Nelson, Regional District of Central Kootenay: Cheryl Graham Area E; Tom Newell Area F, Hairy Productions, Nelson Professional Firefighters, Nelson Rotary Clubs, Lions Club and these community minded businesses.
Adventure Hotel, Best Western Baker Street Inn, Columbia Basin Trust, Hipperson’s Hardware, Hume Hotel and Spa, Kalesnikoff, Nelson and District Credit Union, Nelson Home Building Centre, Nelson Ready Mix, Nelson Toyota, Bennett Family Real Estate, Hub International Insurance, Save On Foods, Selkirk Paving, Nelson Kootenay Lake Tourism, Buddies Place, Urban Legends
When you stop into these businesses take the time to thank them for their ongoing support!