Business in the Kootenay’s is thriving.
Nelson and area with a population of 18,000 is one of the most enchanting and extraordinary cities in British Columbia. This mountain paradise tucked into the lush Selkirk Mountains and situated on Kootenay Lake is the number one small arts community in Canada and one of the top recreation destinations in the province.
Why Nelson and Area for business
- A vibrant and diverse business community
- One of the highest business licenses per capita in BC
- A strong credible Chamber of Commerce advocating for your business interests
- Numerous business networking and support services
- Growth sectors include: construction, technology, manufacturing, tourism, arts and culture, education, health and wellness, and recreation
- A highly educated and skilled workforce
- Access to major transportation routes by road, rail and airport
- Proximity to markets on the west coast, Alberta and the USA.
Why Nelson and Area for Lifestyle
- All season recreation destination including mountain biking, hiking, golfing, kayaking, canoeing, sailing, back country skiing, and downhill skiing
- Two Selkirk College Campuses, Kootenay School of the Arts, Academy of Classical Oriental Sciences, UBC West Kootenay Rural Teaching Program
- Amenities include an 18 hole golf course, a full service community recreation centre, skating arena, curling rink, indoor and outdoor skate parks, yoga and dance studios, community theatre, technology club, Whitewater Winter Resort, Baldface Lodge and other cat ski operations
- Charm and stunning scenery amidst over 350 designated Heritage buildings and 50 specialty shops and boutiques
- Diverse cross section of cultural and arts opportunities and venues including the historic Capitol Theatre for local and touring theatre and music artists.
- Live entertainment venues hosting first rate performances combined with more restaurants per capita than San Francisco creating big city nightlife and food and beverage opportunities in a funky, authentic mountain-town setting
You can find numerous well-established businesses for sale in the Nelson area and throughout the Kootenays here. Opportunities for success are broad and equally favourable for small, medium, or large enterprises and the economy is both supportive and welcoming. The increasing population, highly educated and diverse workforce coupled with the economic landscape, makes Nelson and Area an ideal place to live and do business.
Business and Investment Assistance
Engage with the dynamic tools below to access key indicators, and maps, that provide insights into our economy, consumers, dwellings, businesses and more! Non-experts can get the guidance they need in the HOW TO section and access local contacts in the CONNECT section.
For more information on investing in and around Nelson, please visit the Nelson Chamber of Commerce.
91 Baker Street, Nelson BC V1L 4G8
Phone: (250) 352-3433
Toll Free: 1-877-663-5706
Or view more information on investing in the Kootenay’s from the Imagine Kootenay website.