Canada Day at Lakeside Park
The Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce presents a free family fun day, July 1st, in celebration of Canada Day! This year also commemorates the City of Nelson’s 125th birthday.
Activities continue throughout the day at Rotary Lakeside Park Opening Ceremonies start at 10:30am with local dignitaries celebrating our diversity, culture, inclusiveness, and steps towards reconciliation.
Calling All Drums!!
Join Indigenous Elder Donna Wright on July 1st from 11:30 – 11:50 am at Lakeside Park as she supports and leads a community drum circle where all are invited to participate. Any and all ages and drums welcome! Don’t have a drum but wish to take part? That is fine, too! Members of Lalin Vocal Ensemble directed by Allison Girvan will close this experience with music thematically tied to Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
Enjoy the giant Canada Day birthday cake served up at 11am by Chamber Directors and local dignitaries. Entertainment follows until 9:45pm.
See the detailed schedule and events below.
Schedule of Entertainment
10:30 am — Opening Ceremonies
Chamber of Commerce President Paul Wiest, Nelson Mayor John Dooley, Nelson Creston MLA Brittny Anderson, Shelly Boyd, Arrow Lakes/Sinixt Facilitator for the Sinixt Confederacy/Colville Confederated Tribes, RCMP, Nelson Police Department, Nelson Firefighters, Rotary Club President
(Schedule subject to change, all times approximate)
10:45 am — Canada Day Cake
11:30 am — Lead by Cree Métis elder Donna Wright – All are welcome to participate. Lalin Vocal Ensemble directed by Allison Girvan will close this experience with a song thematically tied to Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.
12:00 pm — Dallas Wolbaum and Harv
12:30 pm — Nelson Community Band
1:30 pm — Kootenay Kilties
2:00 pm — Brenda McJones Dancers
2:30 pm — Playmor Junction
3:30 pm — Jon Burden and the Bleedin Hearts
4:30 pm — Brian Kalbfleish Trio w/Don Macdonald and Rob Fahie
5:30 pm — Revolution (Beatles Cover)
6:30 pm — Soundserious
7:30 pm — White Lightning Blues Band
8:30 pm — Baker Street Blues
9:45 pm — Moving Mosaic Samba Band
10:00 pm — FIREWORKS Display Special thanks to The Nelson Professional Fire Fighters Association, The City of Nelson, RDCK Areas E, F, H, The Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce, and many community-minded businesses and organizations.
Indulge and Enjoy
8-11am — Lions Club Pancake Breakfast, Baker Street
9:45am — Canada Day Cake on Display
10:45am — Canada Day Cake Served by Chamber Directors – City Councilors -Dignitaries
11am-3pm — Rotary Club Annual BBQ, Rotary Shelter
10am-10pm — Rose Garden Café, Lakeside Park
Community Groups and Family Activities
Bring your own lawn chairs, a hat and sunscreen and umbrella and enjoy the day!
- Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce — Canada Day Flags, Pins, event information
- Chamber of Commerce Canada Day Cake
- CJLY Kootenay Co-Op Radio — Sandcastle Contest (Lakeside Park Beach)
- Nelson Road Kings — Vintage Cars and Raffle
- Save On Foods — Bouncy Castle and giveaways
- Shannon Silvermoon — Face painting for kids
- West Kootenay Climate Hub — Wooden medallions to give away and decorate, information table
- BC Centre for Disease Control — Information table and survey
- Make a Change Canada — Kids activities: Plinko game, information
- Kootenay Co-Op Radio — Membership awareness, merchandise, interactive activities for families and youth
- Joshua’s Giant Bubbles — Giant 10-foot bubble demonstrations
- Visions Alive Puppets — Puppet shows, and puppet play area
- Nelson and Area Friends of the Family — Sebastian’s Fishpond by donation
- Safeway-Sobey’s West —Ring Toss game and frozen treats
- Nelson Izushi Friendship Society — Origami for kids, Japanese calligraphy, summer festival customs, sister city information, Friendship Society project information
- Cycling Without Age — 3 wheeled electric Trishaw & info booth
- Kootenay Emergency Response Physicians — CPR demos, road safety info, 911 Response Vehicle
- Nelson and Area Metis Association — Cultural display, Tipi
Selkirk College — Roaming Lakeside with Sunglasses and stickers to give away
Nelson Electric Tramway Society — Historical Museum display at the Streetcar Car Barn (Free Streetcar for Canada Day courtesy of the Nelson and District Credit Union
The Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce is pleased to coordinate and present the annual Canada Day Festivities in Rotary LAKESIDE Park and would like to thank these businesses & organizations for their generous financial support of the Canada Day entertainment and fireworks.
Heritage Canada, Nelson and District Chamber of Commerce, City of Nelson, Regional District of Central Kootenay: Ramona Faust Area E; Tom Newell Area F, Hairy Productions, Nelson Professional Firefighters, Nelson Rotary Clubs, Lions Club and these community-minded businesses.
Adventure Hotel, Best Western Baker Street Inn, Columbia Basin Trust, Grant Thornton LLP, IG Wealth Management, Hipperson’s Hardware, Hume Hotel and Spa, Kalesnikoff, Nelson Dairy Queen, Nelson and District Credit Union, Nelson Home Building Centre, Nelson Ready Mix, Nelson Toyota, Bennett Family Real Estate, Hub International Insurance, Save On Foods, Selkirk Paving
When you stop into these businesses take the time to thank them for their ongoing support!